Friday, September 22, 2006

Where Does The Time Go?


It occurred to me this morning as I was driving to work, that we're already nearing the end of September. I can't believe it, before you know it, it will be Christmas.

As a kid, I remember that time seemed to last forever. The summer holidays felt like many months, not many weeks, and the 35 minute drive into Toronto required pillows, blankets, and food reserves. My how things look different as I get older.

I do think the pace of life has gotten faster. When I was a kid, you had to correspond by mail, and actually call someone. Today I find many of my relationships exist almost exclusively through text messaging, MSN Messenger and email. Actually calling someone is a rare event.

It's funny how everything has become so urgent and immediate. I wonder if the speed with which we live today has made time itself seem to move faster? Imagine being a farmer in the 1800's. Time would feel like it moved slowly, because it did. Absolutely nothing was immediate. Even the most mundane everyday task was laborious.

I like that we have advanced technologically as a society, but I worry that life goes by too quickly. I guess the thing we have to remember is to enjoy each and every day!

No comments: