Saturday, December 15, 2007

Class

Before I begin writing about "Class", I need to apologize for my Blog 'absence'. I had a really busy summer and it seemed to spill over into fall. I always said that my writing had to be 'organic' and 'authentic', and in all honesty, I didn't feel to write. So I didn't! That having been said, I am back~

So, I am truly sick to death of Brittany Spears, Nicole Richie, Paris Hilton etc.....have we sunk so low that we need to live such a voyeuristic existence??? with our choice focus the aforementioned individuals???

When I think back to years past, there seemed to be more a 'classy' representation of celebrity, the likes of Nicole Kidman and Frank Sinatra for example.

Classic sensuality has seemed to evolve into trashy sexualization. I thought evolution was supposed to be a betterment, not a degeneration.

Rosita Missoni, co-founder of the Italian Missoni fashion house once said that true elegance is about being selective in what you reveal. If a woman is wearing a low cut dress and highlighting her cleavage, she should not expose her back, or legs too much. Alternately, if the is wearing a dress that exposes her back, she should not expose too much of her cleavage. It's all about balance and 'highlighting' one of her attributes at a time, not all of them at once.

I think it's great advice, and something that the 'bare all' celebrities of today should be informed of. I think I am hyper sensitive to this, as my daughter Alex approaches young woman hood. It is very important to me to instill a sense of style and elegance in her. I first and foremost want her to respect herself, and her body, and worry about the role models that she has thrust upon her by mainstream media.

Similarly for my son Nick, I want him to be a gentleman, and have respect not only for himself, but for women. I have always liked Frank Sinatra for his sense of style. I know he may have privately been a 'womanizer' but publicly he always presented a debonair sense of style. I guess all I can do is be a positive role model for my kids, and try and set a good example where ever and when ever I can.

My friend Susan always laughs at hearing me say "Nick/Alex, that's not appropriate"....lol......It is one of those 'Dad' sayings that I hear leaving my mouth quite regularly. But with the 'standard' as it is today...can you blame me???

I wonder if we will return back to a more classic sense of style, and elegance....I really hope so!!!!

No comments: