Saturday, December 29, 2007

Shortbus

I saw the most lovely film this afternoon. I had heard of the movie through a friend, and was curious about it. I had been told that it was pretty sexually explicit, which in all honesty peaked my interest, and I guess was the main motivation for renting it.

As the film opened, I was impressed with the visual imagery, and yeah, it's pretty sexually explicit in the beginning.

What I wasn't expecting was how the character development transcended the initial nudity and sexual content. As the story unfolds and you are introduced to each characters story, it becomes a poignant, and beautifully moving film.

There is a character in the film named James, and he touched my heart. I related to something he said (Skin). It's pretty personal, so I won't elaborate, but if you ask me in person, I will share it with you.

Watch this movie if you can. It's not for everyone, but if you get past the shock factor in the beginning and follow the story, you won't be sorry.

In the special features, there is a commentary dubbed over the movie, narrated by the director and main characters. It was interesting to understand some of the meaning and symbolism that was incorporated in to the filming.

Shortbus....a pleasant surprise....

1 comment:

F6's Editor said...

hello Darran

I hope you dont mind but i hotlinked your commentary on Jay Brannan and Shortbus to my blog just to let you know.

Peace,

+Kenneth