Tuesday, May 30, 2006

2006 ING Ottawa Half Marathon



This past weekend we packed up the car and took a road trip to the Nations capital....Ottawa. The purpose of the trip was to run my first "Half Marathon" on Sunday May 28, 2006. We spent the day Saturday walking around the beautiful city, enjoying the sights and sounds. The weather was spectacular, and the outdoor patios were plentiful.

Sunday was race day. I was admittedly a little nervous, as it was my first "Half Marathon". Would I be able to run the whole route?, would I be able to finish? As the race participants gathered, the energy and spirit were literally palpable. I hate to sound 'cliche' but it was the great equalizer. As I observed the 'sea' of runners around me, there was no rich or poor, straight or gay, black or white, male or female, just a group of individuals out to do their very best. A race against themselves. A moment that I found profoundly moving.

I am proud to say that I did run the entire route, and crossed the finish line with a time of 2:22:58.3, not too bad for a first timer, if I do say so myself.
For many reasons personal to me, the triumph of crossing the finish line is not one that I will soon lose sight of. My thanks go out to all the men, women and children who's cheers of support and encouragement for "Bib#7005" kept me going to the finish line. I'm not always one to 'toot' my own horn, but I am really proud of this accomplishment...Look out Full Marathon!!!

No comments: