Saturday, December 09, 2006

Nathan Phillips Square

Tonight I took the kids into Toronto to Nathan Phillips Square to go ice skating.

Me, my kids, my Mom, my Aunt and Cousin all loaded in our cars with hot chocolate and drove down town. As we drove up Bay Street my kids noticed some of the cities homeless bundled in their sleeping bags on random street corners, and couldn't quite figure out what was going on?
Living in Burlington, we don't really have a visible homeless population, and my kids were quite profoundly affected by the site they saw. I personally am desensitized to it I guess, as I am in the city quite often. It occurred to me that it's a sight that no one should be comfortable with in 2006.

It occurred to me that my kids and I are so lucky for all we have, and it made me think how I could give something back?, and in the process teach my kids about giving back, and to be grateful for all the blessing in our lives.
Anyway, we got to Nathan Phillips Square, and enjoyed an evening of ice skating. There was an outdoor concert featuring Devine Brown, and a grand finale of fire works over City Hall.

After the fireworks, we walked along Queen Street and looked at the Christmas window displays at the Bay. It was a really fun evening~


No comments: