Monday, July 31, 2006

Urban Suburban

This weekend past I spent some time with my friend Colin in Little India, and at the Beaches International Jazz Festival. I have a great love for Indian food, but had never ventured into 'little India'. It was a great experience.

My friend Colin is a gay dad, he has a 7 year old son. I heard him tell me about his son eating 'sushi' and having a 'Starbuck's' card, and it made me aware of how I limit my kids exposure to only 'suburban' pursuits. 'Wendy's', 'Swiss Chalet' etc, my kids have a pretty vanilla experience of ethnic foods and culture. I myself relish venturing into the city, and enjoying a multitude of ethnic cuisines, I couldn't imagine not. Yet I don't think to bring my kids into the city to experience it with me? I have always felt a disconnect with what I classify as my two existences, Gay in Toronto, Dad in Burlington, and yet I am thinking it's time to align the two 'worlds' that have felt so separate and inclusive unto themselves.

As I walked around the Jazz festival, enjoying the music, I was aware of all the diversity. So many families and kids enjoying all the festival had to offer. I think my kids would really enjoy having their Dad show them new and exciting sights, smells, and tastes. Things that they have not yet experienced living in the 'bubble' of suburbia.

My kids are currently vacationing in Disney World for two weeks with my parents, but upon their return, I'm going to start expanding their horizons. I don't know what they will quite say about trying 'Sushi', but hey, I'll give them the opportunity.

No comments: