Monday, October 09, 2006

My Big Fat Greek Wedding

Sunday night I attended my dear friend Rose's wedding, held at the Mississauga Convention Centre.

My friend Rose is one of the sweetest women I know. We met at work, and were in the same hire group back in January 2004. The whole group instantly connected, and we have all been friends ever since.

From the day I met Rosie, and was introduced to her fiance George, I knew they were a match made in heaven. It was so great to share in their special day, and see them so happy.

Rosie and George are of Greek heritage, so the traditions of the day were somewhat new to me. One of their traditions was the couple 'breaking' a 'Sweet' bread. They then proceeded to toss pieces of the bread out to the guests in attendance. I think I suitably impressed all of the guests at my table as I caught a piece of the bread, with one hand, without even flinching. Pretty good for a guy who never played baseball eh?

Speeches were conducted in between the courses of the meal, and once complete the dancing began. The Bride, Groom, wedding party and family all joined hands and created a circle. They danced and celebrated the union, each person within the circle taking a turn to lead the dance.

As the Bride and Groom danced, family and guests came up to them and began pinning money to their clothing. The traditions and heritage were great to witness. Later in the evening there was 'Late Night Buffet' where they served lamb and pork. I was taken back to the movie...."You don't like meat? I make you lamb".

Thanks for inviting me Rose and George, it was a privilege to share in your special day. I wish you a lifetime of joy and happiness, and many babies. (Rosie wants 6).

OPA!!!

No comments: