Wednesday, October 18, 2006

WOW!!!!!!!

I attended the concert of a lifetime last night. My guest for the evening was my Mom, and I can't have imagined going with anyone else in the world.

The orchestra played in the background, as everyone took their seats. As the flood lights surrounding the orchestra pit collectively shone upwards, the centre cat walk was darkened in the shadows. In a flash the lights went dark, and one single spot light shone down upon the centre stage.

It was Barbra, standing alone....she was glowing! The crowd erupted.

It was a surreal moment. For those of you who know me, it will be no surprise that I got emotional, and had tears in my eyes. And for many reasons.

I think for me, Barbra Streisand's music has always been in the backdrop of my life. It was always played at my Uncle's house during family gatherings. My Nan, with whom I was extremely close, bought me the Barbra Streisand Box Set Collection for my 25th Birthday, "Evergreen" was my wedding song......I think you get the idea.

She is a music icon, and I never thought I would see her 'live' in my lifetime.

She sang a variety of favourites, and was accompanied by the 'pop opera' quartet, 'Il Divo'. I was in heaven!

Of all the people that I could have attended the concert with, I would have chosen no other person than my Mom. I am like my Mom in many ways, and yet in many ways, wish I could be more the person she is.

My Mom, is the strongest woman I know, so I think parallels the powerful woman I see Barbra Streisand representing. My Mom keeps our family together, and always seems to be the one each of us goes to when we need to vent about one another. She works full time, runs a home, takes care of her grandchildren, manages my Dad, manages my sister, and manages ME. Each of which is a full time job in of itself.

My Mom never complains, always wakes up happy and positive, and just moves forward. We all rant and rave, and carry on around her, and all she sees is the love and adoration she has for each one of us. I wish I could be more like that. You see, family is all that matters to my Mom, and I think she's on the money.

So I guess I was in the company of two amazing women last night, one was singing on stage, the other sitting on my left. Love you Mom!

No comments: